Thanks for releasing CPC Basic 3.
I think the IDE is wonderful - very nostalgic and fun to develop with.
I'm trying to convert an old type-in from a book into CPC Basic 3, and it is going very well.
And the speed difference is amazing!
However, I seem to have found a little problem.
At one point in the code is this block:
1490 RESTORE 1500
1491 FOR addr=360 to 366
1492 READ aa
1493 POKE addr,aa
1500 DATA 205,96,187,50,111,1,201
When I type RUN into the IDE, it just sits there, frozen.
It never compiles, and never reports any errors.
I suspect it is because of line 1491, where the FOR loop is dealing with numbers larger than 255, but I've tried using addr! instead of addr for the loop variable, and that hasn't fixed it.
I've taken out the other lines and left just the FOR loop, but the problem stays.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks once again for a great project release!
[*** EDIT ***]
Hmmm, this is strange.
When I run that code in isolation (ie. just a short program containing only that code and a CALL to 1490), it runs!
Okay, I'll do some more research as to why this might be happening.
[*** EDIT 2 ***]
Okay, it looks as though it is to do with the size of the source file.
I've tried removing lines from the code until I got it to RUN.
I then put one line back in, and it didn't run.
I then took a totally different line out, and it ran!
Is there a limit to how big the source file can be?
The source file I have is around 4.08KB so far.
[*** EDIT 3 ***]
I'm now convinced that the size of the source file is the problem.
I put the entire program back in, and started deleting lines one by one from the end until it ran.
It's like it gets stuck when there is too much to process?
[*** EDIT 4 ***]
Yes, another edit.
I tried increasing the size of the hello.bas program included with CPC Basic 3.
I copied+pasted the code a few times, block after block, checking each time if it would run.
Eventually I got it big enough that it failed.
It was over 4Kb.
I then tried compiling it via the command line, and it never seemed to finish.
It just sat there, frozen.
I pressed Ctrl+C to get back to a command prompt.
The interesting thing is that hello.ccz80 and hello.bin WERE created, even though the command line compilation seemed to freeze.
I loaded hello.bin into WinAPE and it worked!
So it's not the compilation itself that is failing, as it produced a good BIN file.
It seems that the compiler is failing to return, once the compilation is finished.
And 4KB seems to be a clue...
Sorry about all this - I hope you find it useful.